The University of Maryland Alumni Association hires 12 interns each year. Interns learn about the university, the Division of University Relations and the Alumni Association. Moreover, they get exposure to the inner workings of a nonprofit, such as engagement, event planning, cultivation, stewardship and membership.
Interns support various teams at the Alumni Association including the Business Team, the Membership Team, the Outreach and Engagement Team (Events & Programs and Regional & Campus), and the Riggs Alumni Center Events Team.
- Full-time undergraduate student
- Available to work for an entire academic year
- Available to work occasional weekend hours
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive
- Familiar and proficient with social networking websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Friendly and courteous with excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Capable of working independently, but willing to take directions to meet team goals
- Willing to ask questions to ensure that projects are in line with objectives
- Willing to have fun while working and show an energetic Terp spirit
Hours and Compensation:
Student interns work 10 to 12 hours each week. The starting salary for all interns is $15/hour. Interns are eligible for annual increases based on merit and tenure within the office.
Stay tuned for available Internships for the 2023-24 academic year. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Title: Engagement & Marketing Intern
Division | Department: University Relations | Alumni Association
Report to: Mateo Aycardi, Alumni Marketing Coordinator
Work Hours: 10 hours per week
Compensation: $15/hour + credit if applicable
Term: Summer Semester* (Additional time may be possible/preferred)
The Alumni Association aims to be the heart of the university, inspiring lifelong connections with a global network of Maryland alums. Through membership, volunteerism, advocacy, and philanthropy, the Alumni Association connects, cultivates, and channels the power of alums to enrich themselves and advance the university.
The Engagement & Marketing Student Intern will be a member of the Alumni Engagement & Outreach team and report to the Alumni Marketing Coordinator. This role will have three main foci (below) as well as day-to-day tasks assigned by the Alumni Marketing Coordinator.
Social Media Engagement
● Assess and report top-engaged alums on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter on a monthly basis.
● Attend select Alumni Association events and support live social posting/user-generated content collection, as well as on-site marketing efforts.
● Assist the Alumni Marketing Coordinator in social media content production, including graphics creation, sourcing content (eg. user-generated content), writing captions, postings, etc. when needed.
● Support social media engagement by responding to comments and messages from alums on all social media channels.
● Come up with unique and interesting social media content ideas to potentially be implemented on the Alumni Association social media pages.
Alumni Blog Content Coordination
● Post and/or edit occasional content to the Alumni Blog using appropriate blog format and AP style formatting.
● Transcribe interviews to be used in Alumni Association Blog stories.
● Support the Alumni Marketing Coordinator in creating monthly email digests going out to thousands of alumni worldwide.
● Further duties as requested by the Alumni Marketing Coordinator.
● Friendly and courteous with a proven track record of outstanding customer service skills
● Proficiency using the following programs: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google
● Experience with Adobe Premiere/Adobe Photoshop and Canva a plus.
● Proficiency and experience using all social media platforms, specifically Facebook,
Instagram, and LinkedIn.
● Previous experience building Digital Marketing campaigns a plus.
● Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
● Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
● Current student through summer of 2023.
● Ability to meet a start date of mid-May 2023. Availability through the 2023-24 academic year
● Ability to work in-office at the Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center. Remote work is not
available for this internship.
● Capable of working independently, but willing to take directions and ask questions to meet
team goals and ensure that projects are in line with objectives.
● Willing to have fun while working and show an energetic Terp spirit!
How to Apply:
● Application deadline is April 22, 2023.
● Please provide your resume, unofficial transcript in PDF format and (optional) cover letter to Mateo Aycardi - Alumni Marketing Coordinator (email@example.com)